Fake Google reviews can damage your online reputation, lower your ranking on search engines, and discourage potential customers from choosing your business. If you are a victim of fake or negative reviews on Google, you may feel helpless and frustrated. But don’t worry, there are ways to fight back and protect your brand.
In this blog post, we will explain how to spot fake Google reviews, how to report them to Google, how to remove them from your Business Profile, and how to use online reputation management strategies to boost your positive reviews and counteract the negative ones.
What are fake Google reviews and why are they harmful?
Fake Google reviews are reviews that are written by someone who has never used your product or service, or who has a malicious intent to harm your business. They may be posted by competitors, disgruntled employees, unhappy customers, or online trolls.
Fake Google reviews are harmful because they can:
- Mislead potential customers about the quality of your product or service
- Erode your credibility and trustworthiness
- Reduce your visibility and ranking on Google search results
- Affect your revenue and profitability
According to a survey by BrightLocal, 91% of consumers read online reviews before making a purchase decision, and 84% trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations. Therefore, having fake or negative reviews on your Business Profile can have a significant impact on your customer acquisition and retention.
How to spot fake Google reviews?
Fake Google reviews can sometimes be hard to spot, especially when the reviewer tries to make them look authentic. However, there are some clues that can help you identify them. Here are some tips to spot fake Google reviews:
- Pay attention to the details in the review. Fake reviews often lack specific details about the product or service, or they mention irrelevant or inaccurate information. For example, a fake hotel review may talk more about the reviewer’s family than the hotel experience.
- Look at the complexity of words. Fake reviews tend to use simpler words and shorter sentences than real reviews. They may also have spelling or grammar errors, or use unnatural language.
- Check for repeated exclamation points. Fake reviews often use excessive punctuation or capitalization to emphasize their point. They may also use emotional or exaggerated language that does not match the tone of a genuine review.
- Examine the reviewer’s name and avatar. Fake reviewers may use generic or fake names, or names that match their email address. They may also have no profile picture, or use a stock photo or a logo as their avatar.
- Flag reviews without comments. Reviews that only have a star rating and no comment are usually not very helpful for potential customers. They may also indicate that the reviewer is not a real customer, or that they are trying to manipulate the overall rating of your business.
- See if the reviewer has reviewed other businesses. Fake reviewers may have only one review on their profile, or they may have multiple reviews for different businesses in different locations. They may also have reviews that are very similar or identical to each other.
- Look at how frequently the reviewer leaves reviews. Fake reviewers may leave several reviews in a short period of time, or they may have long gaps between their reviews. They may also leave reviews at odd hours or on holidays.
If you spot a fake Google review on your Business Profile, you can report it to Google for violating its policies. Google can remove reviews that are:
- Spam or fake
- Restricted content
- Illegal content
- Terrorist content
- Sexually explicit content
- Offensive content
- Conflict of interest
To report a fake Google review for removal, you can use Google Maps, Google Search, your account dashboard, or the Reviews Management Tool. Here are the steps to report a fake Google review using Google Maps:
– On your computer, open Google Maps.
– Find your Business Profile.
– Find the review you want to report.
– Click More Flag as inappropriate.
You can also follow these steps using Google Search:
– On your computer, go to Google.
– Find your Business Profile.
– Click Google Reviews.
– Find the review you want to report.
– Click More Report review.
– Select the type of violation you want to report.
Alternatively, you can use your account dashboard:
– On your computer, sign in to manage your Business Profile.
– Choose the review you want to report:
– Single business: Open the profile you want to manage. On the left, in the menu, click Reviews.
– Multiple businesses: On the left, in the menu, click Manage reviews. Then use the drop-down menu to choose a location group. (This option is not for organization accounts.)
– On the review you want to flag, click More Flag as inappropriate.
Finally, you can use the Reviews Management Tool:
– Go to the Reviews Management Tool.
– Check that the email address shown is the one you use to manage your Business Profile. Tip: If you use another email address, click Switch account.
– Click Confirm.
– Select your business Report a new review for removal.
– For each review that you want to flag, click Report.
– In the new tab, select a category for the review.
– Click Submit.
Be patient, as it can take several days for Google to assess your report and decide whether to remove the review or not. You can check the status of your flagged reviews using the Reviews Management Tool.
How to remove fake Google reviews from your Business Profile?
If Google agrees that the review violates its policies, it will remove it from your Business Profile. However, if Google does not remove the review, or if you are not sure whether the review is fake or not, you have other options to deal with it. Here are some tips to remove fake Google reviews from your Business Profile:
– Ask the original author to remove the review. If you know who posted the review, or if you can contact them through their profile, you can try to ask them politely and professionally to remove or edit their review. Explain why you think their review is unfair or inaccurate, and offer to resolve their issue if they are a real customer. Sometimes, a simple conversation can clear up any misunderstanding or miscommunication and lead to a positive outcome.
– Pursue legal action against the person who posted the review. If the review is defamatory, fraudulent, or malicious, and if it causes significant harm to your business, you may consider taking legal action against the person who posted it. However, this option can be costly, time-consuming, and complicated. You will need to prove that the review is false and harmful, and that you know the identity and location of the reviewer. You will also need to comply with the laws and regulations of your jurisdiction and Google’s jurisdiction. Therefore, consult with a lawyer before pursuing this option.
– Use online reputation management and search engine optimization (SEO) strategies to bolster your business’s reputation. If you cannot remove a fake or negative review from your Business Profile, you can still minimize its impact by improving your online reputation and visibility. You can do this by:
– Encouraging your happy customers to leave positive reviews on Google and other platforms. This will increase your overall rating and push down the negative reviews in the list.
– Responding to all reviews, both positive and negative, in a courteous and professional manner. This will show potential customers that you care about their feedback and that you are willing to address any issues or concerns they may have.
– Creating and sharing valuable content on your website, blog, social media, and other channels. This will showcase your expertise and authority in your industry and attract more traffic and leads to your business.
– Optimizing your website and Business Profile for relevant keywords and phrases that potential customers may use to find your business. This will improve your ranking on Google search results and increase your visibility and credibility.
Fake Google reviews can be a nuisance and a threat to your business’s online reputation. However, by following the tips in this blog post, you can spot them, report them, remove them, and counteract them effectively.
Remember that customer reviews are a powerful tool for building trust and loyalty with your audience. Therefore, focus on delivering excellent products and services, providing outstanding customer service, and collecting authentic and positive feedback from your satisfied customers.
If you need help with managing your online reputation or removing fake Google reviews from your Business Profile, contact us today. We are experts in online reputation management and SEO, and we can help you protect and grow your brand online.
All information you provide will remain confidential in accordance with our laws and principles.
To make an appointment, you can reach us via the phone below during working hours or send an e-mail to the address below.
Weekdays: 09:00 – 21:00
Saturday: 10:00 – 22:00